Sunday, April 02, 2006

Last Day of Spring Break

Last year, on the Sunday at the end of Spring Break, JD & I were coming back from Reno. As we approached Sacramento, it was raining cats and dogs, and traffic was hellish. It was only mid-afternoon, but it was so dark out with low-hanging charcoal grey clouds that it looked like doomsday. When traffic would come to a standstill, it was as if time itself had stopped, and we were stuck in the twilight for eternity. With the clock sprung forward, and us delirious from exhaustion and consecutive days of around-the-clock drinking, we couldn't tell at the end of the day how long it'd taken us to get back.

Today I'm staring out my window at the sky in Sunnyvale where it ain't so sunny. JD & I aren't talking any more. I've lost a friend. Trust me, it's a lonely spot to be in. But at least out there it doesn't look like the end of the world.

I wonder what I'll be doing same time next year.

No comments: