Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Blues, Be Gone!

Today was the best I've felt about being single in ages. I had a horrid weekend. I guess somewhere in there i made a plea bargain with God, or whoever it is up there pointing and laughing. It might've been the weather - the incessant gloominess, to be precise. Most people suffer from S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder, more commonly known as the winter blues) and don't know it. Of course, in my case, that's only one out of an array of disorders I happen to possess. It's probably amongst the least of my worries.

And today the sun came out, and i had some intelligent conversations with actual human beings, and all of a sudden being alive was not a pointless chore.

"Loneliness" is such a dirty word. You can't help but associate "lonely" with "pathetic" - that value is deeply embedded in our culture. When you see someone dining all alone, for example, you can't help but wonder, What is wrong with them? Or someone unmarried in their 30's and beyond. But what bugs me is my inability to be OK alone at times. Is there something wrong with me? You bet. But all i want is to be okay regardless. I am my own person. We enter this world alone and shall depart alone, whether you like it or not. Sure, it's nice to have someone to share your life with. But does it mean my life is incomplete in itself if that person doesn't exist, and probably never will? I'd like to respond with an emphatic "No!"

No comments: