Wednesday, April 12, 2006

It Sucked for Moses

I saw the conclusion of the TV version of The Ten Commandments last night. I went to Christian/Catholic schools all my life and thought I knew plenty about Moses. Now, I'm not sure how true to the Old Testament the screenplay was, but man, did it suck for Moses!

I never stopped to think about what it meant to wander in the desert for 40 years. That number might have been symbolic, but still. I even laughed along with Jewish comedians on Moses' reluctance to ask for directions. As a child i failed to comprehend what it meant for a people to not have a nation. Never did it occur to me they had nowhere to go. For a tribe to be liberated after having been enslaved for 400 years only to have nowhere to go!

At the end the narrator says, "God did not permit Moses to enter the promised land, but He did allow him to see it before he died."

Small consolation! That just seems wrong to me.

No comments: