Monday, April 10, 2006

What JD's Dad calls "The Dumbing of America"

I had a dream this morning in which every page I visited, I had to reset my security level to low or medium in order to enable cookies or I couldn't log on or view the page. I remember the good old days when a frustration-embodied dream would be about not being able to dial a phone number - it'd be too long and I'd keep messing up, and I would never get through. There was always a pre-recorded message.

I remember when my best friend started mailing me word-processed letters, placing colons and a right parenthesis at the end of a sentence and I had no idea what it meant. Oh the innocent times! I have no issue with not capitalizing the I. It fits my ego (or the absence thereof.) Then people stop punctuating altogether. Now, punctuation has never been my strong suit. But when you remove the apostrophe from I'm, it's just im. As in, "IMpossibly lazy".

And people also go crazy abbreviating. Even while IM-ing, typing out h-a-v-e seems tedious now, with the extra .367 seconds it takes rather than "hv". That's Half Vital.

You can also substitute 2 for everything from "too" to "to" to "two". (See how ridiculous this sentence would've been without quotation marks?) People can't spell anyway. I say, what you stink at, stay away from. And i don't blame them either. Our education system has failed us. Miserably. I never perfected the art of punctuation because, quite frankly, I don't recall being taught it. Same goes for factorials! (The exclamation point is, of course, mandatory.) Nobody believes me when I tell them I never learned factorials in junior high (or 11th grade, whichever it should've been.) Trust me, I was not an excellent student back then, but I retained information. I would not have mastered the skill, but I would've remembered.

Unless i was out sick all that week they taught factorials. Must've been the same week they taught how to be a well-adjusted adult.

No comments: