Friday, April 14, 2006

Ode to Friendship

I never quite know how to answer when a close friend asks how I'm doing. To be all cheery would be a lie. But I'm also reluctant to be a downer all the time. It's quite a dilemma.

Today one of my best friends JM surprised me with a call. Friends like JM don't come around often. We are so alike. We can share and never have to worry about judgment. We both know we're not phone people, so there's no guilt. We're not your typical chatty chicks, but it doesn't mean we care any less. When we do talk, it's effortless, cathartic and awesome.

She actually managed to brighten my day without even trying. Before i knew it i was laughing whole-heartedly. Unapologetically.

JM and i now have a long-distance friendship. In a few months she's moving even further away, which depresses me when i think about it. I miss having friends around. They keep me sane and in perspective.

When a good friend comes along, it's a blessing. I wish there were websites to match you up with potentially great friends. Not just a forum or a chat room, but a service that takes into consideration personalities, social styles, the intellect and mutual interests. You know, back it up with science, like those boastful dating services.

Lately, when i think about the whole online dating thing, i feel dismayed with the knowledge that compatibility doesn't necessarily mean a happy ending. You may have ten million things in common. But what it comes down to is: Do you really want to date yourself? Not to mention there are things that cannot be quantified or qualified.

Maybe i should put some energy into a search for new friends. Maybe there are already afore-mentioned services out there. I just have to wake up and smell the tall soy Chai.

No comments: