Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Lepidopterology

I listened to the lyrics to Sheryl Crow's "Always on Your Side" today. I was blown away. The title doesn't do it justice, the lyrics are so profound.

Butterflies are free to fly
Why do they fly away
Leaving me to carry on
I wonder why
Was it you that kept me wandering
Through this life
When you know that I was always on your side

OK, so maybe the chorus ain't so profound. But you should listen to the rest of it.

Sheryl is not the only who has been metamorphosis-inspired. Take Mariah:

Spread your wings and prepare to fly
You will become a butterfly...
... You'll never be mine
Until you know the way it feels
To fly

She also mentions wild horses.

And of course there's my Tori with "Sleeps with Butterflies":

You say the word
You know I will find you
Or if you need some time I don't mind
I don't hold on to the tail of your kite
I'm not like the girls that you've known
But I believe I'm worth coming home to...

This girl only sleeps with Butterflies...
So go on and fly, boy

Heartbreaking stuff!

Gee i wonder how the butterfly has come to symbolize the one who got away.

No comments: