Sunday, June 24, 2007

Proud Americans

I am so psyched i went to the Pride Parade out in Frisco today. I had reservations about various things: From the BART Sunday schedule to excessive UV exposure to feelings of displacement. But eventually i came to my senses: I may be exhausted and cranky at the end, but who cares? Life is short!

I've always contended that exposure to other cultures/communities opens your eyes and mind. Today the exhilarating event more than proved me right.

A long line of bikers kicked off the show. It was uplifting to see everyone so happy to be there. Cool bikes, cool garb, cool folks. At one point, an older woman riding with a motorist held up this sign above her head that read: "'Proud' Mom". I was so choked up i had to bite on my lip for over a minute.

The vibe just really got to me. I totally got into the spirit, screaming and waving and grinning like an idiot. I spotted this one sign with the word "Tolerance" crossed out, replaced beneath by "Acceptance". I was totally blown away. It truly hit me like a ton of bricks.

That's it right there. It's all about loving, accepting yourself and each other, and about expression. Young kids and fluffy animals came along. New parents push their strollers all the way. Couples who have been together for a lifetime ride by. All with proud signs on display (56 years and counting - I guess it's not a phase!). It was just so precious to see so many friends and families come out along with free-thinking organizations/congregations and equality-minded employers to send a message. Today, age, gender, orientation and race were non-issues.

A cynic will detect the presence of ulterior, self-serving motives. After all, there were politicians in a motorcade to get your vote.

Gavin Newsom did not ride. He walked alongside his staff. His supporters shouted in unison, "Not long now! We're so close!" (Or something of the sort.) That touched me beyond belief. I screamed and bellowed, "Yea-ah!!!"

The romantic in me saw overflowing open support and elbowed the cynic out of the way. I see hope. I see it's okay to believe. And it's wonderful.

There was good humor, high spirits, awesome costumes, and OMG, so many hot bods!!!

I caught a lollipop tossed at me, and Denisse and i both scored free beads. Thank you, San Francisco!!!!!!! America, i love you!

1 comment:

Not-So-Normal-Mom said...

You are so cute! I love SF!! We go up there at least twice a year as a family and always have a great time. I was telling my mom today that I am so disappointed that the gay scene here isn't as pronounced. I would totally go to pride here if I felt that it was as great as it is there! Your post was lovely and inspiring!