Friday, June 29, 2007

Arid

I came home this evening to extremely low water pressure. Next to zero.

I was frazzled. All i wanted was to wash the grime off my face so i could relax already. I made a few phone calls just to see whom i should bug about this. Turned out it was a broken pipe within the building and maintenance was on top of it.

As soon as i heard the toilet tank start to fill, i rushed over to the sink and washed down in a jiffy. And sure enough, the supply died in no time. I thought, "There, now i couldn't care less."

But it's never that simple. I got hungry, and wound up with saucy dishes. Sure, I could let them sit all night, but knowing they were there just didn't sit well with me. And of course, i started to panick about running out of ice.

I'm a simple woman. All i ask for is electricity, water, and cable. The bare necessities. It hasn't been that long since another was out of the equation.

Desperate, even though the faucet was only dripping, i turned the filter on and stuck an ice tray beneath. You'd be surprised how fast droplets make rivers... Or ice cubes anyway.

A few minutes later i suddenly heard the hush of running water - it's back on! But who knows for how long?! I ran over to fill a second tray, and a third. Thank Thee, O Lord Thou art my shepherd.

And then i did the dishes like there was no tomorrow. Oh, the lush life!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Every day occurance in Belize. We need a competing water service to straighten things out.... I keep a big drum of rain water just in case....