Wednesday, March 21, 2007

No Princess

The earrings i left at Matt's are princess cuts.

I'd had round brilliant for the longest time. That was me, wanting to be versatile, not willing to make waves.

After having been through an ordeal with JD that became a journey of self-discovery, i graduated to princess cut. I figured the definite corners would give me the strength i'd been lacking. They gave me presence.

Two years have come and gone. Even after JD and i were no longer an item, it was the only pair i'd wear to work. It was dainty, simple, but, to me, spoke volumes. No frills, no if's or but's. It said, "Don't mess with me. Don't get too close."

On Tuesday, Matt apologized for not having returned my call on a work matter. In stark contrast, pulling a no-show on a personal matter was not worth an honorary mention.

It's not even about the earrings. It's about principal. About respect. Or lack thereof.

For weeks i wondered where i stood with Matt. And herein i hear the message loud and clear.

Today i went shopping for a replacement for my princess cuts. But discovered marquise instead.

They were different. They were defiant. They were what i needed to break out of my mold so i could breathe. After two years of trying to define myself.

If Matt called to ask to return my earrings, i'd say:

Keep them. Make a shrine. I don't care.

No comments: