Sunday, March 04, 2007

Shoot Me, Quick

I detect a behavioral pattern of mine wherein i need to gain access to activities introduced to me by a guy i'm into, but is not interested in a relationship with me.

Case in point: Months and months (and months) ago, York II (boy, is that ancient history) made me portobello-stuffed tortellini he'd bought at Trader Joe's. It was simply scrumptuous.

(It was probably not even portobello, but just your garden variety mushrooms. So i embellish. Sue me.)

After i was proven to be anything but the love of his life, it'd become my intention to look for that variety of tortellini.

But i don't shop at Trader Joe's. So months and months (and months) float by.

Until one Sunday after an eventful weekend with Denisse, when i accompanied her to one of her weekly errands. In our sweats. Sweet.

Denisse was aware of this obsession in the back of my head. Spotting the product in the freezer section along with sun-dried tomatoes and prosciutto, she pointed and brought it to my attention.

"That's it!!!" I cried, enraptured.

She chuckled.

I'm glad my pathological obsession was entertaining.

And after all that anguish, i didn't make a purchase. My residence was, after all, 51 miles from Denisse's. And besides, knowing that the pasta was available was enough.

Commensurately, ever since Matt took me to Saratoga and Los Gatos on our pseudo first date, and i don't hear from him for 5 weeks on end, and he never, but never, makes commital statements such as "I'll call you next week" or "We should do this again sometime", it's bugged me to no end that, prior to him driving me around in his Corvette, i'd never even been to either city (or town).

Today, finally, i drove down Big Basin Drive to check out the scene. I meant to loop around Pierce Road to check out the wineries, but missed the turn. I stayed on Big Basin even though there were plenty of turnouts to go back.

I wound up at crossroads. A vista point at the intersection of Hwy 9 and Skyline.

There was an abundance of Harley bikers. But no view. Don't they know that "vista" means "view"? It's a fraud!

I had taken a good number of pix at Villa Montalvo Arboretum today, though, before getting lost. Not too shabby, except, upon viewing them, i realized i really missed adjustable depth of field with a single dial on aperture on a single lens reflective.

Which is why i haven't published any of these shots. You can manage exposure and contrast in Photoshop, but never depth of field.

There was this shaded area with mossy vegetation and a mossy path. Just totally out of control. Where i come from, moss is a nuisance you can't shake a stick at. To Matt, it's God's gift to a backyard.

I was gonna email Matt with the pic, saying, "Saw moss. Thought of you. IM me."

But i didn't.

Nonetheless, i have achieved my goal, haven't i? When i was zooming down those winding roads, not having a man couldn't be further from my mind.

Nothing could bring me down. Not even those Taiwanese Christians in Parking Lot 3, holding hands in a circle, long after they'd parked, loudly chanting, "Thank you, O Lord, for bringing us to Montalvo... To witness your glory!" Over and over.

And over.

Loudly.

No comments: