Saturday, March 31, 2007

No Plain Jane

In a recent interview with Marianne Schnall, the founder of feminist.com, Jane Fonda admits that her identity depended on men for years: "[As if] if you're not with a man you don't exist."

I've had this discussion with Denisse like five times in the past three months. Why do we feel like such losers for being unattached? I often have to mindfully relive the misery of being trapped in marriage and cringe before i can again state and mean it: It is worse - far worse - to be stuck with the wrong person than to be single.

My therapist once said, "Who's to say being married, with children, is the norm?"

Let's say society decides that is the norm. And it doesn't apply to me. Does that make me a less valuable person?

It took Jane Fonda 62 years to get in touch with her true self. Turning 70 next year, she tells Schnall, "Now I feel like I have epiphanies every other day."

I don't feel so bad about feeling unanchored at age 36 any more.

No comments: