Sunday, March 18, 2007

And the Beat Goes On...

A manic episode can lead to a false sense of invincibility, and thus, recklessness.

As perceived by the rest of the world anyhow.

On the way to W's, i was pulled over for speeding.

In the past, i'd get really intimidated and shaky. And i'd feel stupid. Angry. Would take months to get over.

Today, by the time the officer came to my window, i'd already whipped out all documentation.

"How's it going?" The CHP guy opened.

"Alright," i replied. "Until you pulled me over." I almost grinned.

"Well, you were going faster than everyone else in the fast lane," he explained. Well, that's kinda the point of speeding, isn't it? Otherwise you'd be - well, slow.

"My guess was you were going at 80," he said. "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Well, more like close to 90, if you must know. "80 sounds about right," i smirked and looked him straight in the eye.

If you're looking for remorse, Mr. Man, you ain't gonna get it from me. "I'm just sorry i got caught," as Kitty the pineapple heiress states in Chicago. : )

He'd caught sight of me at Wolfe and didn't come up till Winchester. That's a good 6 miles. "I could hardly keep up with you," he bemoaned.

Could hardly keep up, ay? A sense of superiority washed over me. It was warm and silky. Like cognac. If he was trying to discourage my behavior, he was not doing a very good job.

"I noticed that you slowed down when you spotted the San Jose Police car ahead," he continued.

So what's that supposed to imply? Admission of guilt? The way i see it, if you got skillz, it's your prerogative to move at the speed you like. And them schmucks better stay clear of your path. And in hindsight, he could've turned on the sirens at the start of the pursuit. Instead, he played fair and square - in stealth. Someone wanted to prove his skillz!

The officer and i - we're not that different.

And here's the trip: Would he have caught up with me had i not slowed down?? Honestly, he was so behind, i never saw him until i hit the brakes. Seriously, you think 80 mph is fast? Puh-leeease!!!

I need to move to Germany where there's no such thing as a speed limit. It makes sense, since the real speed limit in the universe as we know it is the speed of light. Just ask God. Or Einstein.

No comments: