Monday, February 04, 2008

Gap

Most of the staff i work with is young. Well, i don't exactly work with them; we coexist.

The other week, some were practicing headstands in the hallway. The hallway wall happened to be one of my office walls. Gotta love Californian buildings for their wood structures.

It sounded like someone was being thrown on the wall over and over. I endured it for a couple of minutes. Then it grew louder and more frequent. Like someone was demolishing my office with a gigantic metal ball. While i was in it.

"That's it," i thought, and stormed out.

"What the ef are you doing?!?" I inquired, my mouth agape, my lip curled and trembled.

Some of them laughed nervously. They all muttered at the same time, blaming this one kid. The same kid who once invited me to see his band play. Then they scampered away like scared, reprimanded children.

Ah, shit. It's official. I've aged gracefully into a prude of an old hag.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I am turning into my mother. Sometimes when I am talking to kids on my caseload I say the same things my mom used to tell me. I then have to stop, look at the kid (depending on their age) and tell them I am turning into my mother. I also have co-workers that are young. Most of them were in grade school when I graduated college.
Turning old sucks.

Not-So-Normal-Mom said...

HAHAHA! You are not old. You are old when you are in a class and the teacher says something like "write the story like you're talking to a thirty year old." And the guy behind you says "thirty! Man, that's too old!" Yeah, I'm too old.