Thursday, February 07, 2008

Space

I was the last to be served in a series of customers at the seafood section at the Lucky near work. After the lady was done with me, she literally went, "Whew!"

Then she went on to explain, "Is there something about today? Everybody seems to want fish! Is there a holiday i've heard?"

"It is Chinese New Year," i felt obliged to reveal. "But i'm not sure if that has to do with it."

Her curiosity piqued, the lady went on to ask questions i had no answer to. One of them was "How many days does the celebration last, three?" Goodness i wouldn't even know today was the first day of the lunar new year had i not talked to one of my cousins recently. And by "talk" of course i mean "email". : )

Feeling bombarded and overwhelmed, i said, "I should know [the answers to your questions], but i don't. I'm really unfamiliar with tradition."

Now the seafood dude's curiosity was piqued, good Lord. "Were you born here? And grow up here?"

I was amazed. I wasn't going to give him my bio. Those facts have no proportional effect on how culturally hung-up one is. So i simply said:

No... I just don't pay attention to tradition.

At checkout, the cashier cheerily chatted with the female Caucasian customer in front of me, asking semi-personal questions, wishing her a good day. The personal details did not register as i usually space out while standing in line. Kinda like a rape victim not being all there during the act so that it would be like it was happening to someone else.

When it was my turn the cashier had this turned-off expression on his face as he half-heartedly greeted me. As if saying, "Oh, it's an Asian."

Needless to say, he did not chat me up. His voice was lifeless as he read me my total.

As he bid me farewell he didn't even look me in the eye. As he handed me my receipt he was already walking away. (There was no one behind me.)

I didn't care for his distaste, but that's fine. Just hand me my cooked prawns 31-40 and imitation crab and i'll be merrily on my way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So am I drunk because it is the Chinese New Year or because I am a lush?