Thursday, February 07, 2008

On Deck

JD and i have this silly running habit of quoting A Few Good Men.

There is this guy at work, Louis*, whom i have caught doing likewise. I've wondered if the kids out on the floor appreciate those occasions nearly as much as i do. The corners of my mouth would twitch in a near-smile.

Today, after lunch, as I walked over to the soda machine, sales clerk Kato* eyed my dollar bill in hand and asked, "Do you need quarters?" Immediately i understood the machine was now stuffed with dollor bills and would take no more. I handed him my bill and followed him to the cash register.

Believing in giving credit where credit is due, I said to the kid, "Excellent customer service, Kato!" After all, he didn't have to care.

Louis who was standing right next to Kato looked at me with a wicked, suppressed smile, and mouthed the words, "What the fuck?"

Louis and i are friendly enough for jokes so i wasn't offended. I was just perplexed. Did Louis not like Kato? Given, Louis is the store cynic. But he's always been nothing but nice to me. Not that i took him seriously this time. I like his dark moods. There is a mutual understanding there. A cool dynamic.

Later in the day i got a chance to ask Louis why he had been appalled by my complimenting Kato.

"Because it wasn't said to me," said Louis. "I'm kinda stuck up that way."

I was taken aback that a man like Louis would need reassurance.

"Aww..." i said. "You know you're the best!"

I wish i would've had a clever comeback, but i had stage fright since both the manager and Derek II were in the room.

This evening i kicked myself as it occurred to me what i should've said:

Louis, you don't have to wear a badge to have honor!


*Not his real name

No comments: