Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Window & Mirror

You’re so vain, you probably think this blog is about you
You’re so vain, I’ll bet you think this blog is about you
Don’t you? don’t you?

OK, that was just an obiter dictum. : D

I have this teammate. She's probably in her early forties. The more I get to know her the more chilling the knowledge becomes. She's obviously very bitter about something. I don't want to know but my guess is that it has to do with men.

I shudder to think, if i don't wise up, this is a forecast of what i shall become in less than 10 years.

I recently read an article on leadership by Jim Collins that was humorously and insightful at the same time. But what do i care about leadership anyway, you know? However, a point in there struck me. It's this concept of "Window and Mirror" as the author coins it. A level 5 leader (the highest in the hierarchy in Collins' research and assessment) credits external forces for success (looking out a window) and introspects on areas that need improvement (mirror). Instead of being petty and self-absorbed, a level 5 leader focuses on the long-term good for the company instead of making him/herself look good.

I thought, what a concept! Everyone can use that kind of humility and professional will. (Collins realizes it's a rare, paradoxical combo.) When shit happens, don't get busy blaming others. When something turns out right, don't take all the credit. And most important of all, keep your eye on the big picture.

Yeah, i know. Easier said than done. That's why out of the hundreds of firms researched, only 11 had such disciplined visionaries at the top. Not to mention, corporate culture usually categorizes these characters as mousy - they seldom make it to the top.

No comments: