Sunday, May 21, 2006

Afternoon Magic

Every Saturday my brother W has a video conference with my Mom who lives in Asia. It's more an obligation than anything else. And it's more about letting my Mom see AC my nephew on webcam than about adult interaction.

My Mom and i have this very awkward relationship. I've often thought that if we weren't mother and daughter, we'd never be friends.

Since i moved out of W's house last August, i haven't been religiously joining them in net conference.

Yesterday enough guilt propelled me, so i crankily drove to W's house.

W the wiseguy put the camera on me..

"Whoa!" My Mom exclaimed. "You're a beachball!"

Oh... that's... nice. I'm so glad i drove 17 miles to come over.

And she had to continue, she was so beside herself, "What happened? What happened to you? What.. are you trying to break a record or something? Seriously, you're a beachball!"

"OK..." i replied monotonously. "So?"

"So? So a beachball deserves to be kicked around a few times!" She responded wittily, expecting roaring laughter.

Silence befell us.

My Mom really knows how to work her magic, what can i say. All those nice pix of myself i sent her with my new haircut and things where i didn't look like a giant tub she had no comments on. No, no. But as soon as a flaw is detected she can never be too quick to shine a spotlight on it.

I remember self-psychoanalyzing during a recent chat with LC my sis-in-law in her afternoon-sun-infused living room. She was baffled by my various afflictions. Listing a few of my positive qualities, she asked rhetorically, "Why on earth would you have low self-esteem?"

I think her question has been answered.

No comments: