Sunday, May 14, 2006

Self-Discovery

All my life i couldn't come up with a satisfactory nickname. York pressed me for it. I had nothing. I have one of those four-syllable prissy names that just refuse to be abbreviated. I've come up with a cool one that never caught on. There are a couple of boring options that I would've settled for, but no one went for anyway.

Today, while watching a recorded episode of Will & Grace, it hit me. Gin! Karen calls her sister Gin. It's perfect! And why not? It was the first drink in my teens, if you don't count beer. Thanks to my dear Dad. : ) I love that man.

In my singlehood i've discovered that i'm not crazy about Cabernet Sauvignon. White Zinfandel is fine, but i'm still exploring. Sangria just plain sucks.

One of the things i dread about living alone is opening a jar. You may laugh, but what good am i as a single woman if i can't be self-sufficient when it comes down to the nitty-gritty? After all, there's no one around to help or sympathize. JD knows the story of the jar of Southwest Salsa from Safeway that had me break down and cry after having wrestled with it for 27 minutes. I'm pretty determined, but stamina is not my strong suit. That jar broke my spirit, man.

Then, this afternoon, i successfully won the skirmish with a jar of pickled okra. It only took 4 minutes and 23 seconds. Words cannot express the joy of vindication.

Ahh... okra. There's this delicious okra stew that my ex [not JD] used to make on demand. It had to be okra season though. It was supreme. I never got the recipe.

I used to feel tinges of guilt when i was reminded of my ex. You know what, i bet i can look up that recipe online. Now that's something to look forward to.

No comments: