Monday, June 09, 2008

Vintage 7

On Sunday, while starting to make my celery chicken, i realized i had only one glass of pinot grigio left, and the new bottle wasn't chilled.

So i opened a bottle of cab. Can't go wrong with cab! Even though, seemed wrong to be sipping red while making poultry.

I've turned into a snob, i know.

There was a time, not too long ago, when i couldn't even remember which wine goes with which meat. Let alone subtle pairing!

I confronted my brother with my confusion. And he was like, "It's easy! The color of the wine is the color of the meat!"

Oh, that makes sense.

I've come a long way, sorta. I am still no connoisseur. Not by far! Which is why the movie Sideways cracked me up so. It would be so cool to talk like that! It's fucking esoteric! And the way they inhale the vapor especially when it's like orgasmic... I got to observe that firsthand recently in one of my Burlingame outtings with Denisse... I was so amused!

@ the wine fest on Saturday, Denisse had me articulating the difference between petite sirah and syrah. First i was like, "There is a regular syrah??" Later i was like, "Syrah is definitely more complex..."

Then i added, "I love pretending i know wine!"

And then she sprang "mid-palate" on me, and we laughed.

Back to the culinary endeavor... In a moment of tipsiness, i splashed cab in the skillet, thinking i had the mirin in my grasp which was also sitting on the counter. I sure looked dashing doing it though, very debonair gourmet chef like...

"No, no, no!" I thought, as my heart sank, "Shit this must ruin it!"

Cuz you can't mix red with white!!!

Despite the mishap i thought the end product tasted pretty damned good. But then again i was tipsy so what did i know?

This evening i was literally afraid to try the chicken leftovers. As i recalled i grew kinda averse to the aroma of sweet anise as well.

But i finally got hungry enough to take a chance (not unlike how i handle dating! LOL!) And you know what? True to my first verdict: tastes pretty damned good.

So there you have it. You can splash red wine on white meat. Conventional wisdom means nothing!

1 comment:

Sara and Kim said...

A lot of things taste okay while tipsy. Speaking of tipsy I was half in the bag by 1015 this morning. More like full in the bag. I called into work, went to a friends home (brought her flowers) smoke a joint and drank some beer. Sometimes impromptu wake in bake is awesome