Saturday, June 07, 2008

Vintage 5

While sitting outside my wine bar trying merlot for the first time (good merlot anyway, after a long time of even attempting) this evening (while the sun is up i say!), a friend of Shannon* the owner's approached me.

"You know, you don't have to sit there all alone and melancholy. You are welcome to join us," he said, referring to the adjacent table where more friends of Shannon's were enjoying their prime rib and Southern-style pull pork sandwiches with baked beans and cole slaw.

I looked up from my glass and actually made eye contact. "Alone is not necessarily melancholy," i declared, with a smile, albeit a sad one, i'm sure.

I was lying through my teeth. Of course i was melancholy.

Perhaps this is why i don't have any friends.


*Not her real name

No comments: