Thursday, June 19, 2008

Veracity

This week, Fefe*, an old friend from SoCal, who now lives in San Diego, is in town.

Since i last saw her, she has gotten married AND had a baby boy.

She's one of those who goes on and on about the latest with them, then pauses to ask, "What's new with you?" and after you respond, doesn't even react. Not even a condescending, "Uh huh."

Suffice to say: we've grown apart.

I was ready to meet up on Saturday when she informed me they'd be departing on Thursday. Friday the latest. She wasn't sure.

She texts me for my home address, what time i get off work, and how far my abode is from the wharf in Frisco - information she should've had for 2-3 years.

The baby is no excuse. The baby is only 8 months old.

I reply on Tue, and she inquires again on Thu.

And i reply again. Even threw in the work addy.

At lunch today Febe texted to see if i was at lunch. When i didn't text back promptly, she called. I didn't pick up. A minute later, she called again.

Fefe is one of those who are quite dense when it comes to my aversion to the phone. I don't bother to explain as it would escape her.

As i would tell Denisse later:

When i'm eating, i don't answer if the president is calling.. Or even God himself!

It's true. Ain't nothing worth disrupting alimentary sanctity. Even if my mother was dying, what could i change by stopping to eat?

At the end the timing did not work out. It was an hour and a half from outtie time as Fefe's family was heading down to San Luis Obispo.

And i can't say i'm hurting.


*Not her real name

No comments: