Thursday, April 05, 2007

Spirituality Killed the Monk (Or Nun)

It is springtime indeed. There are bugs and worms everywhere.

A couple of weeks ago, i removed a bottle from my cabinet, and there rested a cockroach behind where the bottle had been. Heaving, it seemed. Hesitant. Fearful. With a full belly. Ah, it's pregnant. It's a she. All hail! I felt a strange sense of affection awash. Its life deserved to be preserved. (OMG! Alliteration!) I felt like petting it on the head, cooing, "Grasshopper!"

Last week, back from lunch on foot, i noticed a couple of caterpillars hanging from this tree on what must've been invisible silk threads. I squinted. For all i knew, they were levitating. They squirmed and stretched, and all of sudden i got goose bumps all over. I sprinted away, running my fingers through my hair lest one land in it.

Today, with my senile forgetfulness, i walked past that infested tree again. I grimaced and again sprinted away. I briefly turned my head to catch a glimpse of one prominent caterpillar.

Finally parked at home after an eventful, emotional day, i turned to grab my coat from the passenger's seat, only to find a furry little critter on the sleeve. It was green and black and white, with a red patch, resembling a fluffy feather. Uncertainly feeling its way on the woolen surface, it looked serene and beautiful.

I had an urge to gently nudge it with my index finger. Perhaps it would climb on my finger. I wondered what that would feel like.

Eew! It'd be on my finger!!! Eew! What would that feel like?!!

And so i carefully removed the coat, and scooped a dry fallen leaf under the bewildering creature. It predictably mounted the fragmented vegetation.

I placed the leaf by the nearest wall. There was no tree around. By abandoning the caterpillar, i probably killed it. Poor innocent life who unwittingly traveled with me for 6.7 miles just to die.

If you see Buddha on the side of the road, kill it. For the true buddha lives within you. So the one you see must be false.

No comments: