Thursday, May 27, 2010

Raw Silk

I am very affected by "Irreplaceable" by Beyoncé. I don't tire of listening to it.

I actually didn't catch it when it first came out two years ago since i was in my no TV and no radio hiatus. Just discovered it several weeks ago.

First off, it's a catchy tune. The theme is empowering without being trite in my opinion. I watched the music video and liked the song even more (usually it's the other way around). Beyoncé is so beautiful in it. And convincing. And oh the way she moves!

What i don't understand is why i relate to the song to the extent that i do. It is intense. I have never been cheated on, never asked someone to move out, never been that unattached.

And i'm amazed Beyoncé gets the emotions right, without overindulgence or resorting to stereotypical personas.

How does she do it? She seems to have been in a healthy, fulfilling relationship for a long time. All the while maintaining her dignity and humility despite public scrutiny and speculation which comes with the territory of fame.

Perhaps you don't have to have had dysfunctional relationships to sing about getting over one.

And perhaps i don't have to have been emotionally healthy to know the manifestation when i see it.

True artistry comes from embracing being human. All aspects of it.

No comments: