Monday, January 01, 2007

On This First Day of 2007

4 days before New Year's, Denisse had made it clear that she didn't want to sit at home "like a dork". Even though i could totally imagine being a homebody on this blessed night - after all, it is just another night - i'd feel bad if Denisse couldn't realize her wish on my account. She's been there for me in the past; i don't turn my back on someone who's been good to me in their time of need.

But i couldn't lie either. When we IM'd in the afternoon of the last day of 2006, i whined, "I so don't wanna change and dress nice... Doesn't feel like an evening to celebrate..."

"C'mon," typed Denisse. "We can pretend, can't we?"

We went back to the place with the stripper pole. In stark contrast to the last time we were there with JD, the place was hopping now. We almost didn't get in due to their 150-person capacity and an imminent fire inspection. When we were standing in line out in the cold, seeing fire trucks and police cars zoom by, Denisse said, "I just want in!"

"Yeah," i concurred. "I need my first drink to get me going!" (Of course, it wouldn't be my first drink. I had shared a bottled of aperitif wine with W my brother earlier.)

She laughed, "I know!"

"So... what did you do last year?" She asked later.

"I spent it with JD," i replied. "We drank ourselves silly... And watched a lot of DVD's."

I'm sure she was sorry she had asked. Haha.

Thank goodness, they managed to make room. The tiny joint was extremely crowded. It'd take 10 minutes just to get a drink. And you'd have to be on full alert to get the bartend's attention - they were tremendously understaffed. You snooze, you lose. And you'd need to time yourself: When your glass is half full, you best get back in line again, before you run out.

I saw all these attractive, giddy people, and i thought, what are they so happy about?

Took two eight-dollar drinks before i even began to loosen up. And then i didn't care that i didn't belong.

In a span of two hours, i caught a whiff of the following on different occasions:

a) burp
b) fart
c) someone who desperately needed deodorant. In the ladies' room.

And, last but not least:

d) oxidized menstrual blood. By the bar.

My olfactory sense is seldom that keen. That was uncanny. I couldn't help but crack a joke in protest, "Like, use a tampon, not a pad!"

Denisse didn't share my sense of humor. Oops, she probably prefers pads.

The countdown was a blur. I felt sad there was no one to kiss at midnight. At least they handed out free champagne. Well, not exactly free, considering there was cover. And the bubbly, despite the Moët & Chandon glasses, tasted like swill. But Denisse and i sure looked happy in our self-portrait, champagne glasses in hand.

I don't know how she does it, two drinks and a coat, AND she whips out her camera and takes pictures with it.

I feel that Denisse genuinely likes me at times. Why else would she want to commemorate moments with me? I make her laugh. It's a good feeling when that happens. But she probably won't hang out with me forever. People change. Life is ever-changing.

Today Denisse and i had lunch with my brother's family. She seemed sincerely enthralled by my nephew AC. That's when you know someone has a good heart. Due to our luncheon arrangement, i had to hang out at her place for a couple more hours than previously planned. She didn't seem to mind at all. As a matter of fact, she seemed to remarkably enjoy my company.

I spotted a 100-proof version of SoCo, Rob's favorite drink, at BevMo yesterday. Impressed, i texted Rob, to share a moment of camaraderie. He called me right back. I was on my way out but i took the call anyway. Soon it became obvious that he hadn't read my text.

I don't think he gets the concept of text messaging. It's just a glimpse of a fleeting moment. You DON'T have to talk.

This morning Denisse and i talked about the weather, given that it was a beautiful day today. She informed me that the sun had peeked out in her hood yesterday.

"Not in my area," i said. "It was yucky. Cloudy all day in Sunnyvale. Ironic, isn't it?"

She didn't laugh.

When JD called tonight, i realized yet again that no one gets me quite like he does. This is bad.

No comments: