Thursday, January 25, 2007

Sick Puppy

I called in sick today. My stomach hurt so bad, i couldn't even sit up. It was like someone had punched me 50 times. Plus nausea. I mean, i have neasea everyday, but this was worse than usual. Then there were those chills. Even under the covers i curled up like a cooked shrimp.

I thought to get dressed and go in to work anyway, but Rob was gonna be there. Just couldn't deal with that shit in my condition. I decided to stay home.

I've been so depressed this entire week, it's not even funny.

I slept all day. It's nice to have time to waste.

Elsie my sis-in-law woke me up mid afternoon. We wound up talking for 1.5 hours. I felt better. I felt like someone understood what i was going thru. I was connected.

Elsie said if i already dreaded going to work, it was time to find a new job. Perhaps it was. I felt a tinge of hopefulness.

Of course, when you feel good, you put on some muzik, and go right back to pouring yourself a drink.

I knew that Matt was golfing with clients this afternoon. So i texted him to say something clever. Something about birdies not being Tweety. OMG. He called me right back. I asked if he'd read my message.

"No, i'm not quite used to the whole text messaging thing," Matt replied.

What?!

Then we lost reception.

I went in the bathroom to throw up the Stoli Blueberi i'd had just minutes ago.

Oh, no! Not the $20-per-750 ml Stoli!

But emptying the contents of my stomach did sober me up a little. I thought, if Matt calls back, i'll sound semi-coherent.

He did call back, after half an hour.

He hadn't even known i was out sick today because he'd been out all day himself.

"Perhaps it's alcohol poisoning," he offered.

So he suspects i have a drinking problem. What does it say about him to still like me?

I told him the salmon leftovers from Saturday i had last night might've made me ill.

"It had to be bad!" Screamed Matt. "It's been a week!"

"No!" I contested. "It's only been, like, 3 days."

"Well, it feels like a week since i've seen you," Matt cracked.

So i guess seeing me at the office doesn't count. Sweet.

No comments: