Wednesday, January 31, 2007

When God Closes a Door

Today my supervisor Mildred dropped in without notice, like she always does.

She hasn't had any reason to stop by in ages, since JF and i have been doing so well.

Then she dragged JF next door and closed the door behind them. Five minutes later, i started to panic. What could they be discussing?

Another five minutes flew by. I became so worried, my mind went wild with imagination, and my coccyx started to feel funny. I felt a little jittery.

They finally returned. "OK," Mildred smiled at me and said. "Your turn."

I tried to remain calm but my hands were shaky and my knees felt like jello.

Turned out that Mildred wanted to temporarily transfer me to another location to relieve someone who was gonna be on maternity leave.

"It would be good experience to have your own store and see what it's like," Mildred suggested.

"I'm there," i said.

For about 4o minutes, i was delirious with relief. Finally, no more feeling awkward around Rob. No more pining over Matt just to be reminded he's not interested. Just when i thought there was no way out, things worked out for the best.

Given, i'm sure Mildred's intentions were not pure. I'll bet the rumor never left her mind for one second.

But i was grateful just the same.

Then, the reality of the situation set in. I was sad that i wouldn't be working with JF any more. I swear, for the rest of the afternoon, she was so upset, she was near tears.

Then there's the fear of leaving the comfort of having settled in: knowing everything in your work environment; knowing what to expect. Knowing where to go for lunch.

When i first took the job i expected to work alone, and i loved the idea. I was dismayed to have to share an office. But by now i've grown so fond of JF, and our teamwork is so seamless, going out there on my own seems scary.

"It's okay," JF said. "You can fly away."

She almost made me cry. It's gonna be lonely without her.

We kept reminding ourselves that i'd be back. But i think we both knew there was no telling.

At the end of the day, I told Matt the news. His reaction was not what i had hoped for.

Nice knowing you too, Matt.

Yeah, this is for the best. But don't mind me if i'm going to shit my pants come Friday.

No comments: