Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Let's NOT Give 'Em Something To Talk About

The worse has happened at work. I saw it coming.

With Rob always hanging out with me and JF, the boys have been teasing for over a month now. We continued going to lunch and stuff despite the juvenile joshing. Then, last Friday, right before we were gonna go out for drinks after work, JF innocently asked Rob, in public view, on the floor, "What time, Rob?"

I thought, uh oh. And sure enough, all hell broke loose.

Now, i KNOW we have nothing to hide. But that is not the point. I've come to realize guys can gossip like the best of them. Gender is not an issue, it seems. And once a rumor has started, it's near impossible to nip it.

Starting yesterday, the sales force would announce a call from Rob for me stressing on who the caller was. Usually on the PA they don't specify in that regard.

Today, you can actually hear the chuckle by both the announcer AND in the background.

But the mother is that Mildred, our boss, called JF, stating that she had concerns about our store, and that she would come in later.

Given that we could easily go a month, if not more, without having cause for her guest appearance, we scratched our heads. What could the concerns be?!

Later Mildred asked JF if she knew Rob was having a relationship with someone at our branch. I heard JF tell the truth about last Friday. We had one lousy drink. The three of us. We went our separate ways within an hour.

I was fuming. Yes, i left by 6 p.m. and headed straight for my brother's. Do i need an alibi?!

Mildred went on about company policy and how coupledom would result in transferring one of the employees to another location. "I'd hate to lose an [my job title]."

I don't remember seeing that clause in the employee handbook. And you know what, why should i give a shit, cos i'm not dating anyone at work. I DON'T DO THAT!

And what an assumption! Why me?!! JF is female, too.

And why stop at that? I go out with JF all the time. We buy each other sodas in the afternoon. Maybe WE are lovers.

I was just so enraged. I felt so misunderstood. If i thought my boss hated me before, this is certainly not helping - Kelly, Rob's ex, is one of Mildred's best gal pals.

So now everyone thinks i'm the other woman. Great.

This is exactly what i didn't want, cos i was well aware of the ramifications. And BTW, how stupid is it to assume there has to be someone else?

I am not one who craves the spotlight in the first place. The thought that there's talk behind my back didn't sit well with me at all. Plus the fact that my boss didn't confront me. I didn't even get a chance to speak for myself.

I was so upset, I got heartburn. I thought to myself, i'm gonna quit, i never want to see these people again.

It's as if i'm in elementary school again. I encounter some mean kids. I tell Mommy i never want to go back to school. Never ever again.

I try to not let it bother me. After all, i did nothing wrong.

But still i ruminate. I start to think maybe JF was testing me as well. Maybe she couldn't be sure either if there's really nothing going on with me and Rob.

I want to scream, "I'm not even attracted to the guy!"

I wonder if i would feel better or worse if it were true. I can't be sure.

But perhaps this all happened for the best. I've been hurting my pretty little head trying to figure out a way to let Rob down easy, cos i just know he's gonna want to get together again, and i'm just gonna have to turn him down. Now i can chalk it up to killing a scandal.

No comments: