Saturday, January 20, 2007

A Case of Mistaken Identity?

Somehow i wind up on a date with Matt today. Matt from work.

There goes my theory of not dating anyone from work. I guess i was only adamant when it was someone i felt zero attraction toward.

So that's two. Maybe i'll date them all. They'll sign in my yearbook, "Good luck to ya, Slut!"

Matt outside of work is actually a lot different. I guess i'm not the only one with a work persona.

He admitted later that revealing his real self was scary. "You know how i'm a dick at work," he offered.

"So how's it different now?" I retorted.

Course, i understand all about not wanting to be vulnerable. I've thought lately i never want to fall in love again, just so i won't be subject to hurt - things beyond my control.

Turns out Matt's really into nature and appreciating life. Even though he's "done lots of therapy", he's not a big drinker. Today he turned giddy after two beers. Two!

I guess we're just gonna be friends then. LOL. "Bremco brakes" all of a sudden became a tongue twister for Matt the lightweight. (Admittedly, he was cute making attempts to pronounce it.)

But he's articulate, charming, with a wicked sense of humor. And despite what he says, seems very together. I look up to his type. What's even more irresistible is that he thinks i'm smart and funny.

What took him so long to ask me out? Even though, i have to say, i'm not sure this is a real date.

At dinner, he says intimacy is being able to open up and have a real conversation. Wow. Are you sure that's not a line?

So he loves his Corvette Z06 for the performance, NOT because it's a chick magnet? Come on. I vividly remember Sam Malone of Cheers.

I don't know what to believe. Yeah, i'm cynical that way.

Matt was on my previous online dating thing a while back too. Again, would've never picked him out from reading the profile. I guess you really can't get a true sense of someone by reading their profile.

He lists a few things he digs about me. I laugh at his jokes and I make him laugh. In fact, at one point he laughed so hard he cried. And the fact that we spent the afternoon without planning ahead first.

He doesn't know that the phrase "Let's play it by ear" makes me cringe. What he doesn't know won't hurt him.

This is what i realize as of late: Most men like me because i conform to their definition of an ideal mate. Think Maggie in Runaway Bride. She never knew who she was. She was putty in constant metamorphosis. That's moi. I'm still searching for myself. That's why i drink, so i don't have to keep analyzing.

In There's Something About Mary, all the men in Mary's past have trouble letting her go. The attachment is not so much for Mary per se, but for the way Mary make them feel about themselves. Mary is bright, kind, has infectious positivity, doesn't judge.

My dates in recent past come back for more because i listen to them. I listen like i mean it.

JD said his Dad liked me cos i listened sympathetically to him talk about his dogs, both of which had tumors and didn't have long to live.

So there you go. I'm Mary. Hail me, y'all.

No comments: