Monday, October 23, 2006

Inebriates Are All Around Us...

I had a serious hangover this morning. I didn't have a headache, nor was i sensitive to light and sound, but i... just... felt... stupid.

I had such a hard time concentrating even after 3 cups of coffee. I felt like i was moving in slo-mo.

Clark the manager walked in. Sometimes Clark walks in and circles about, and you never know if he really wants something, or is just taking a break from the madding crowd.

I usually ask him how his day is going and such. I'm so pleasant at work, i make myself sick.

On this particular day, Clark decided to share that he was recovering from a drinking fest the previous night.

"There's not enough coffee on Monday morning," I declared. "What's your poison?"

JF my co-departmentee started giggling. She's cute that way. She's older but childlike in some aspects. Which i like. I'm just a simpleton that way too.

Clark must've felt cornered and/or self-conscious, for he pretended he was needed out on the sales floor, and walked out. Hey, i didn't hear anyone hollering.

Oliver*, the third sales rep whom i haven't mentioned on this blog, likes to ask about weekend plans and deeds. One time, i whined about hoping not to have to work on Sat, and he asked mischievously, "Hot date?" Which cracked me up.

"Maybe," i replied with a grin.

He laughed out loud, "That's a yes!"

But i think he's uncomfortable around me at times. i'm fine with that though. The less people who wanna talk to me at work, the better.

That's probably not the right attitude. : )

So anyway, this morning, as usual, Oliver was uncomfortable with silence again, and felt obliged to ask how my weekend was, when i paid Rob a visit in their office.

"Great!" I replied. And of course i had to ask him back how his was.

All our sales reps are a little uneasy when you turn the table on them. They even avert your eyes and stuff. Which makes you wonder what they're up to all weekend. Come on, fellas, communiation is a two-way street! Do unto others what you will... Well, you catch my drift.

I don't know what possessed me to share, but i went, "I partied a little too hard, and i'm paying for it this morning."

Oliver started to laugh his signature hearty laugh, while Rob went wide-eyed in shock.

"Last night?" Oliver pursued.

I just smiled and nodded.

"Atta girl!" Exclaimed Oliver. I don't recall the last time i won his approval.

Moments later, I was getting coffee. Again. Rob ran a dolly by me, with which normally, i surmised, he would hit open the swing door to the rear warehouse open. Just then he paused at the door and whispered, "I'll be quiet, since you're hungover."

I dramatically gasped, "I never said that!!"

"That's what you were saying though," Rob said, and had this "don't worry, i understand" expression on his face. "I mean it's not acceptable to say that in the workplace."

"True," i replied.

We grinned as usual and parted ways as usual. I found his "your secret is safe with me" demeanor hilarious. I thought it was the other way around!


*Not his real name

No comments: