Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Confessions

Over the weekend Denisse and i talked about cooking for one. For me it's very difficult to buy a bunch of stuff ahead, and just throw some things together at the drop of a hat. I'm not creative that way. I plan ahead and buy exactly what i need. No more, no less.

Denisse runs and works out six days out of a week, works full time, and can still whip up a meal when she comes home. She can't bring herself to go grocery shopping during the week, mind you, but she sure as hell cooks.

When i ask Denisse what she makes, she always says "something simple". That's what everybody i know who cooks says. Denisse's specialty is stir fry. So was York II's. Even though, the one time he cooked for me he made tortellini. Which was uncanny cos JD used to make tortellini for me.

I confessed to Denisse that i hadn't cooked since i'd started working. I just don't know how people do it. I made plain rice this week so i could top it with pre-cooked, pre-packed meat and shellfish i'd got from the local Asian market. That was my big achievement. And packing lunch alone was taxing. I almost sighed out of relief when i was finally done, including rinsing off the cooker and utensils. That's right, two utensils were used in the process.

"So what do you do for dinner?" Denisse asked.

"Leftovers from lunch, mostly," i said. "Sometimes i skip."

"How do you do that?!" She was amazed.

"Sometimes i'm just not hungry," i replied, feeling my cheeks burn. What i really wanted to say was, "Well, i drink."

No comments: