Monday, October 30, 2006

All In a Day's Work 3

Today was pretty wonderful for a Monday. And i didn't realize it until i did a mental recap just now. To me blogging is like chicken frigging soup for the soul.

I had a rough morning. Even though i got more than enough sleep, i felt zombie-esque. After 5 servings of coffee at work, my hands started trembling, and i didn't feel any more alert.

And word had it that my district supervisor was coming in today. I couldn't relax. I tried to exercise what i'd learned in CBT class to control my level of anxiety, and it worked to some extent, but i was distressed.

She came in mid-afternoon, and we actually had some laughs. I didn't do anything to her dismay. Even when she was showing me stuff i knew already, i displayed humility. Cos by now i'd learned she didn't appreciate a smart ass.

She's always reminded me of Drew Barrymore. Which i've never told her. She may not be fond of Drew Barrymore. Can't take that chance. But i sense a good spirit. I like her underneath it all.

And i wasn't so tense around her any more.

Matt came in late in the day as usual. I helped him with the label printer. He told me i was awesome. Later i realized no one had ever shown me how to work that thing. I just figured it out on my own. I should take credit for that.

He'd come in earlier, bitching and moaning about how Monday mornings sucked. I expressed empathy as usual. Five minutes later, he said, "I really didn't wanna come in today, but then i thought, V. was gonna be there."

"And that made it all worth it," i said, and chuckled.

"Yep," he replied.

In the afternoon he worked on some stuff in our office. Right before he left, i asked, "Having fun yet?"

His response was positive. And then he dashed out the door remarking, "You have a great smile!"

"So do you!" I yelled back. I don't know if he heard.

Later, Matt told Mildred* my suprevisor that i was second to only Mildred herself. Mildred agreed, but i was sure she was only humoring Matt. I was embarrassed. I'm never quite at ease with compliments.

Our company is so backwards, we don't even have MS Office on our workstations. But apparently Matt has Word on his labtop.

He ran into trouble with bulleting. Mildred thought i could help.

I tried but couldn't. That bugged me. Damn it, it says on my résumé i'm proficient in Word. I'd better live up to that statement.

So i experimented a bit after i got home. And in my drunken state i *gasp* called Matt. I'd had his cell number memorized. Big surprise.

He sounded pleased. "Maybe you can show me tomorrow," he said. I hung up feeling fulfilled.

No wonder office romance is so tempting to most. It's safe as long as you don't act on those urges. Right now, Matt is perfect, cos he hasn't rejected me. And he'll never hurt me as long as i keep my distance. So long as someone stays in the realm of fantasy, nothing can go wrong. Can't beat that element of mystique.


*Not her real name

No comments: