Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Revelation 6

I made up some stew today. The only ingredient that saved it was the jalapeños. Would've been utterly boring otherwise, i'm sure. It was the first time i used jalapeños, inspired by JD's chili.

I seem to stick with a few favorite ingredients and run with them, varying only the condiments. Perhaps that behavior serves as an analogy to my hopeless relationships.

Last night i watched Jeopardy and The Wheel of Fortune with my brother and his family. I never watch either alone. Seems pointless if i can't blurt out the answers.

In the final round of the latter, after the RLSTNE giveaway, we've got two words in the On the Menu category, a seven-letter word followed by a three-letter one. Only the R and the E were hits.

Before the eager contestant even made an attempt at additional consonants, i yelped, "Rhubarb pie!"

My brother and my sis-in-law remained composed.

The contestant was competent enough to get "pie". But the first word stayed blank, save for the two R's.

"What pie did you say?" My brother inquired, barely turning around.

"Rhubarb," I replied, trying not to sound conceited.

The contestant had no clue. She didn't win the $35,000.

Of course, the word was rhubarb.

Not a peep from my family.

I look back at that moment as an epitome of why i turn to men for validation. Sure, these are only my peers. It's almost silly to try to fish atta-girl's out of them. But they're not stingy when it comes to paying AC my nephew compliments. I almost envy him.

But when Lisa cracked the $200 clue in the "Sh!" category on Jeopardy, "When Peter Pan lost this, Wendy sewed it back on", I cheered for her.

It's "What's a shadow?" BTW.

A side note is that i shouldn't feel proud about being an expert in the category "On the Menu".

No comments: