Monday, June 12, 2006

Nostalgia

I just made a playlist in iTunes that resembles what i had when i was prepubescent - a collection of hits from the 40's and 50's inherited from my Dad. It's far from complete; it's work in progress. Much like myself, shall i say.

I think all of us tend to get nostalgic when the present gets a little tough to deal with. Incidentally, when i took a keen interest in "the oldies" in my teens, i was trying to decipher the lyrics. I had learned English grammer since age 3, but conversational wasn't till age 11. It was a challenge and a joy. My sense of wonder preceded me. And, let's face it, the tunes were catchy.

Presently I proudly have from "Stupid Cupid" from Connie Francis to "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" from Brian Hyland to "Are You Lonesome Tonight" from the King himself.

Ah, Elvis. There's just something about that sultry voice. No wonder women of all ages swoon. Who can blame them? To this day when i hear "Do the chairs in your parlor seem emtpy and bear? Do you gaze at your doorstep and picture me there?" I fricking tear up.

And oh, oh, "Shall i come back again"? Why don't you just close the book and have a drink with me, you Devil in Disguise!

No comments: