Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Yes, I Aspire to Write

Tonight i went to the literary event featuring Dorothy Allison like i had pondered, clad in black like a brooding writer would. For a couple of days i crammed on my copy of Bastard as if i wouldn't deserve an autograph if i wasn't well along.

By the time Ms. Allision went on stage, 20 minutes behind schedule, i was on page 14. As expected, the book was much better than the movie. And i liked the movie.

Ms. Allision was an engaging, effective, passionate speaker. But most of all i enjoyed her sense of humor. My mind didn't drift once till like 40 minutes into the thing. Considering my pathologically short attention span, that said a lot right there.

When we met vis-à-vis, she smiled and said, "I saw you sitting up front."

Wow. Ms. Allison noticed me in the fourth row. Lil ol' me.

Must've been my Crushed Cherry creme lipstick really poppin' against the backdrop of my pale face. Upon coming home, i realize I must've appeared circa-WWII Manchurian, à la Yoshiko Kawashima, when she wasn't cross-dressing.

But then i just felt a little flushed. I told her i'd enjoyed her sense of humor.

"It's quirky," she grinned.

Not unlike mine. Or so i'd like to think.

No comments: