Thursday, October 18, 2007

Omega-3 Jones

I looked up fugu this evening after a correspondent mentioned having had it in Japan. I've wondered about pufferfish since i was a child. Must be really yummy to be worth the risk of death by poisoning when hordes seem to be willing.

While @ the Monterey Aquarium, my nephew AC was fascinated by the ocean sunfish. I looked it up tonight. I'm fascinated. It's the heaviest bony fish in the world. And it looks so menacing, grotesque and stoic all at once, it reminds me of a gargoyle.

The giant is a delicacy in Japan and Taiwan. Go figure. Asians will eat anything. (I'm allowed to say that. I'm Asian.)

I'm bewildered. Huge fish can't be that tender or delectable.

Taylor wouldn't be interested. He won't eat anything with a binomial name. The ocean sunfish is known as the Mola mola.

By 8:30 p.m. i had to microwave a Gorton's lemon pepper battered fish fillet.

No comments: