Sunday, August 13, 2006

My Nephew the Subverter

My nephew AC is at that age where he defies authority every chance he gets. The way he adamantly protests parental commands by solemnly repeating, "No, no, no..." just cracks me up.

Today my brother W pays me a visit with his family.Within a 19-minute stay, AC manages to erase all the messages on my answering machine. This act leaves me in awe. How does he know which button is "erase", and that pressing it twice will obliterate all digital data??

I'm left with a profound sense of loss. Apparently some messages I have saved for sentimental reasons.

W literally kidnaps me from my home. My guess is that he senses that i have been spending entirely too much time alone, and that i've been up to no good in my solitude.

I don't do well when unprepared. "I would've brought a book," I tell W.

"We'll watch The Village," W cheerily replies. He knows i've been meaning to see the film but have been too scared to do it alone.

"It's not even that scary," W assures me.

Course, when we get to W's, AC insists in watching his DVD's. W winds up taking a nap.

I experience a minor panic attack. What do i do?!!

Ahh... Nothing a screwdriver can't fix. The drink, not the tool.

When i finally get home after dinner, i realize that The Ron Clark Story hasn't been taped like i set it up, because my nephew AC has pressed "eject" on my VCR earlier.

AC has sabotaged me twice today. How did he do it? The kid is a genius!

Yet i find it impossible to be mad at the little guy. Is it love? Or is it just that i'm a wuss, always feeling unentitled?

No comments: