Thursday, August 17, 2006

Epiphany 3

On Monday i received notice from The TicketMaster that Chicago the musical is finally coming to San Francisco. Two years I waited for this. JD and i would not have missed it for the world. And now that it's here, JD and i are not seeing each other any more.

The first week at my new job was no day at the beach. Yesterday, hungover and sleep-deprived, i was totally frazzled. The more I worried, the more stupid mistakes i made.

I went home feeling just lousy. I was sure they'd fire me before the probation period was over.

And i vowed to go to bed before 10 p.m. so i wouldn't make a fool of myself the next day.

I needed a friend. It'd been ages since JD and i had talked.

When i called, JD was on his way to fix Johnny's* wireless network. He'd be there for a couple of hours, he said.

Who's Johnny? I didn't ask. He'd said it as if i should know.

Despite his constant denial, JD has a life. I have to remember that.

Today i went to work fully recuperated, and had a wonderfully productive day. Can't drink to my heart's content on a weeknight. I have to remember that.

All of a sudden i understand what JD has been trying to tell me all this time, about the guilt and shame associated with indulgence, and the price to pay the next day... All of a sudden i forgive him for tapering off his alcoholic consumption around 3 p.m. on Sundays, and going to bed at 21:40, leaving me to watch Law & Order marathons alone.

All of a sudden we're finally on the same page. But we're not seeing each other any more.

Today, on my way home, I listened to Alanis Morissette's "You Owe Me Nothing In Return" again. It's really spoken to me lately. In the lyrics i find peace.

I'll give you countless amounts of outright acceptance...
You can share your so-called shame-filled accounts of
times in your life and
I won't judge it...
You can ask for space for yourself... and I'll grant it

You owe me nothing for giving the love that I give
You owe me nothing for caring the way that I have
I give you thanks for receiving - it's my privilege
And you owe me nothing in return


*Not his real name

No comments: