Saturday, August 12, 2006

Epiphany

I saw my 21-month old nephew AC today. I hadn't spent a lot of time with him lately.

He's been kinda nonchalant with me, which has provided a recluse like me even less incentive to try. I'm comfortable to slip back in the routine thinking pattern, "Why bother?"

Tonight i watched parts of a Barney DVD with him, which, believe me, is no small feat. Let's just say I'm not known for my patience.

When i got involved, AC actually turned to me and smiled, as if to say, "Hey, you get it! You get me!"

It was then when i realized, any relationship is a two-way street, even for a toddler. You have to make an effort. Only then can you have peace if it doesn't work out. You can't expect to sow unless you reap. And let's face it, sowing is a pain in the butt. But if you don't do it, you've got no right to complain.

No comments: