Friday, March 11, 2011

Instrumental

Inspired by Michael Leviton's February 27, 2011 article in the Modern Love section of The New York Times ("... so I could mimic music box tunes"), I bought a Glockenspiel.

It's perfect. On the piano i've been able to play by ear just about anything i can hum. But chords stump me. I've felt inadequate. Surely a true musician would pull it off as if it was second nature.

Oh, my Glockenspiel. My Glockenspiel!

The first notes i played were G E C (as in the NBC chime). :-)

Comes with a handsome carrying case.

I've enjoyed playing. It is not as effortless as I imagined. I never realized how much tactile intuition went into finding the right keys. Or the visual aspect. Without the black and white layout, I'm a little lost. And my fingertips are feeling left out.

No comments: