Saturday, March 12, 2011

Drift 2

Tuesday i was at the doctor's again for another routine. The nurse, half-talking to herself, asked, "Have you had a mammogram - no, you're too young."

"Not yet," i replied. "But soon."

"What year were you born?" Asked the nurse without looking up from my file.

"'71," i said.

"Oh, it's gonna be a while before you're due," concluded the nurse confidently.

"Well," i said. "This year."

She must've miscalculated my age, as she insisted, "They don't require a mammogram at such a young age anymore."

Baffled, i started to wonder if the age of initial screening had been "moved" by some latest guidelines. After all, they've done that with Pap Smear intervals.

"I thought you're supposed to have your first at age 40," I voiced my concern.

I believe that was the moment it occurred to the nurse she may have messed up her math. This time she squinted and read my file.

"Oh!" Exclaimed the nurse. "June! Not for a few more months!"

Duh. I didn't say this month. I said this year. Some people just don't listen.

No comments: