Thursday, November 08, 2007

Shrinkage 3

Today i had to head over to the district office for a day-long meeting. I arrived early, as usual.

As soon as i walked in, Dora*, one of the superviors in the region, remarked that i had lost weight. I confirmed.

"It's a lot, huh?" Said Dora. "I can really see it." And she gestured her own face.

Someone asked how much i had lost. Luckily Dora and Mildred my supervisor simultaneously asked in all keenness, "How do you do it?!"

I was quite self-conscious about being put on the spot. "I just..." i replied hesitantly. "Eat... less."

Then i laughed nervously, afraid to have offended someone. You never know. Someone might interpret that as "I'm just not a pig like you!"

Bewilderment ensued as everyone reacted. Amidst, Mildred looked me in the eye, almost sternly, and raised the question, "Why'd you do it?"

Thankfully someone talked over her in the wildfire of a discussion. I pretended not to have heard my boss and scurried away to get coffee.

I suck at impromptu lies. I would've come up with nothing but "Cuz i've been utterly depressed, and i kinda overdid it and turned anorexic?"

Would've been hilarious, now that i think about it.


*Not her real name

No comments: