Saturday, November 10, 2007

Exempt

This morning, heading out with my laundry basket, a stranger standing RIGHT OUTSIDE my door totally startled me. I just kinda stared at her like a deer in headlights, dumbfounded.

She was all smiles and asked me how i was doing. I gave the standard answer. I'm sure "whaddaya want?" was written all over my face and in my voice.

Another woman and a little girl were in the party. The girl looked fearful. They were all holding what i assumed was The Scripture. And pamphlets and such.

"Uh oh," i thought.

I quickly closed the door behind me lest the lady, whom i towered over, force her way in.

"We are looking for Spanish-speaking residents," said the lady. "Do you know any neighbors who are Spanish-speaking?"

"I don't know any of my neighbors," i replied with a cynical smile, and felt satisfaction.

Call me Ebenezer*.


*The name incidentally means "stone of help"! How clever of Dickens...

1 comment:

Not-So-Normal-Mom said...

My dad argues the scripture with them for like an hour, and he's not even religious. He just reads a lot!!! It's really more fun to watch them squirm than it is for them to walk away thinking you're a heathen!