Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Homework

My best friend IA is in town.

This morning, realizing she's arriving today, i viewed in panic mode the albums of her kids she sent me weeks ago. In case, you know, she quizzes me on them.

I couldn't view them when i first got them two months ago cuz i was too depressed to look at happy pictures of happy people. Then i accidentally deleted a bunch of emails in outright drunkenness, and had to ask IA to resend them. She did, and i still had to wait till i absolutely had to...

Cuz you gotta do your homework to keep up that normal person façade, you know.

Much like the night before i met Angry Guy, even though i was dead tired & totally resentful, i reread his online profile so i wouldn't draw blanks during our conversation and appear a complete idiot. Only to be greeted with inquiries that would be readily answered by rereading my profile before the first date. Icing on the cake was his shrugging and sneering, "Cuz, you know, i don't have your profile memorized."

To which i replied, "Course not. That would be ridiculous!"

I have been an overachiever for too long. Sometimes it's OK to get a C.

No comments: