Wednesday, July 04, 2007

My Nephew the Hero 2

Today, for the first time, my nephew AC addresses me above and beyond salutations and greetings.

In English: He used to call me "Goo Goo"* only after saying "hi" and "bye" and "thank you". Today, with no coersion whatsoever, he actually gets my attention by opening with "Goo Goo", then talks to me.

Granted, i had no clue what the hell he was saying. But i felt that he had initiated a "real" convo with me for the first time. And i listened. Even though i still didn't know what the heck he was saying, it was a sweet connection.

AC's parents sometimes divert his attention in order to catch a break to get things done. Tonight, Elsie told him to "go sit with Goo Goo on the couch".

Course, the little boy wouldn't sit still. He kinda paced back and forth. When he drew near he'd kinda lean over as if about to lose balance so i'd have to get ready to grab hold of him. It dawned on me: He wanted a hug. So i did, and he smiled bashfully. And turned his cheek. I gave him a peck, going, "Mmmmaahh!" but not too hard cuz, knowing me, never wanting to impose. He giggled. And dashed away. Then quickly returned for a second drill.

"Mmmmaahh!" Again I pressed my lips lightly on his soft cheek. His grin brightened the entire living room.

I couldn't believe that my nephew really did want me to kiss him. I felt like Sally Field giving her Oscar speech upon winning for Norma Rae: You like me! You really, really like me!


*Childspeak for "Auntie" (specifically "father's sister") in Cantonese

No comments: