Thursday, February 08, 2007

Pass That Glass

I quit drinking.

Just kidding. But for a couple of nights there, i didn't have a drop. It wasn't even a struggle. I gladly went to bed way early, not missing a thing.

It was not planned. Suffering from chronic neck and shoulder pain, I finally got authorization to receive physical therapy on worker's comp. Along comes a (free) muscle relaxer that works like a miracle. I can't remember the last time i was pain-free!

But it comes with a "no alcohol" warning.

I decided that i had to suck it up because my employer was involved. I can't report to my supervisor, "No, i skipped the meds, cos i had to drink. You know?"

I followed JD's advice on going cold turkey: "Do everything necessary. Just don't drink."

I didn't have a problem cozying under the covers, reading my magazines. At 8 p.m.

And what do you know, my stomach stopped hurting like there is a gaping hole the size of a vagina in labor. The nausea is gone. Food doesn't make my stomach go up in flames.

But it's Thursday. And Thursday is the new Friday. And i just miss that buzz.

You know, being off was cool and the gang, but i was so mellow, i didn't wanna do anything. I had no creativity. No desire. No opinion. I didn't even want to blog. I was perfectly happy spending 10 hours in bed on a weeknight. What was gonna happen on weekends??

All of a sudden i understand why musicians can't write songs unless they're on something.

I could quit drinking. But i just don't want to.

No comments: