Friday, February 23, 2007

Just a Thought

There's this Thai place near work. I love Thai. The food is pretty decent. Not the best, I must say. But it'll do.

I don't do much for myself. Lunch is my only treat. It's my pat on the head, miming, "Hey, i still love you!"

The place is always busy. If you get there after 12:30 p.m., there's a line.

I always get there shortly after noon and the hostess asks, "How many?"

"One," I say, raising my index finger.

"By yourself?" She asks.

I don't know why she always needs to respond with that. My guess is that, in her language, it's a perfectly neutral inquisition. An affirmation even, perhaps.

But we're in America. YES, I'M ALL BY MYSELF, OKAY? There's no one to have lunch with, no one to share life with, NO ONE in my life. Are you happy?

No comments: