Monday, December 04, 2006

Trio Mio vs Flying Solo

Over the weekend JD, Denisse and I went to this bar and lounge that had a stripper pole. A lonely stripper pole that no one strutted around.

Toward the end of the night the three of us had downed enough liquor to at least strike a pose by the pole - moments immortalized now in bytes.

I'm really glad JD and Denisse get along. The two people who mean the most to me right now. My only friends. Even though one is my ex and the other, a cousin.

We had breakfast at a cozy nook after a night of being drunk and stupid. Bacon and eggs and sausages with sundried tomatoes, and pancakes... Seemed a stark contrast to the stripper pole the night before.

I count my blessings.

Monday. Matt comes in to work grimacing and moaning with a dislocated disc.

Matt and i were each gonna go dancing in the city on Friday night.

"Too much dancing, huh?" i teased. Matt remembered our convo and smiled amid agony.

At the end of the day, when Matt and i were alone, i pried, "So did you stay out all night on Friday?" He had told me that he would.

"No, no," replied Matt. "I didn't go dancing after all."

"Oh!" i responded. "So you engaged in another activity that broke your back!"

I grinned, and Matt grinned back. "I broke my back doing nothing fun at all," said Matt. As if he wouldn't want me to think him a sex fiend.

I helped Matt with an investigation, and he exclaimed over and over, "You are awesome! You-are-awe-some!!"

If i'm so awesome, will you love me? Will somebody?

Later, Matt told Oliver that i was "a lot of fun to go drinking with".

"You think so?" i asked, barely able to hide my delight.

"I still want to take you to lunch," said Matt, after mumbling that i was great. "Cocktails and lunch."

"Ehh... can't do cocktails at lunch..." I frowned.

"Dinner!" Blurted Matt. "I meant dinner!"

Ah... Now we're talking.

I drove away allowing myself to believe that maybe Matt wasn't a player after all. Maybe he does like me that way. Maybe just a little bit. After all, he did ask last Friday if i had a hot date. And today he wanted to know where i was headed taking off early.

Meanwhile i've been entertaining the idea of spending Christmas with JD and Denisse in Vegas. Vegas, baby! I can tell Denisse is really psyched, and i know JD, who's never been, would love it. Drunks like us couldn't have more fun than in Sin City, you know?

I don't want JD to date the 28-year-old he met online, but i myself haven't stopped pining for love and affection elsewhere. JD has pointed out how warped my perspective is.

Yes, i am one sick puppy. Dating doesn't fill the void, sure. But not dating certainly leaves you painfully aware of the void. If Matt and i go out, it's probably not even a date. Even if it is, what do i think is gonna happen? I'm kidding myself.

JD would understand. It's a nice feeling when you believe someone likes you. Even if it's all a joke and it's all gonna fall to pieces.

Denisse wants my advice on online dating. I sadly have none. I only offered the statistics that only 1% of all couples met through an online dating service. Well, you could do worse than spending $30 a month on a lottery ticket, i guess.

No comments: