Sunday, December 17, 2006

Holiday Cheer 2



I was laundering my underthings this morning, and honest to god, the lather conjured up a smiley.

I took it as a sign that everything was gonna be okay.

The last smiley i saw was in my tumbler of Bailey's many months ago.

The forces are saying, "Don't despair!"

Rob called me yesterday. "I just need to talk," he said in his message.

"Uh oh," i thought. "I hope he's not getting too attached."

Turned out his lady and he had "the talk", and they are gonna break it off after 12 years.

That is tough, with the holidays coming, and they're gonna play pretend that everything is hunky dory until after New Year's. Yikes.

"Sounds like you're not taking it well," i said. I always crack stupid jokes when i don't know how to respond to something sad.

Denisse and i headed out to downtown San Jose last night. A first for both of us. I had been depressed to the verge of teariness before she arrived. I honestly did not know how i was gonna wing it. But as soon as we settled in in an enclosed area with music blasting and eight-dollor drinks in our hands, all was right in the world.

"Good choice!" complimented Denisse.

"Thanks!" i replied. "I'd always walk by this place when i was going to San Jose State. Imagine me in my backpack and hoodie, going, 'I'm goinna check out this place someday!!'"

We threw our heads back and laughed.

"867-5309" rendered by a live band earlier, and that Christmas classic with a BB gun playing on the plasmas on the wall reminded me of JD. Denisse didn't know the title of that movie either.

Today Denisse confesses that starting a few years back, she's not into holiday music any more.

"I don't know why," she says.

Um, could it have to do with the fact that your Dad died of liver cancer a few years back around this time, dear? I'm sorry to be harsh.

But all i said was, "The psyche works in mysterious ways."

It's always a case of a glass half full... At least i don't have the demise of a 12-year-old relationsihop or the anniversary of a parent's passing to grapple with.

I'll buy something red and lacy and sequiny for my weekend in Vegas. Depression? Ex-boyfriends? Bite me.

No comments: