Sunday, February 22, 2009

True Blue

What a lovely sight!

Thanks to sashimi lovers like myself, the bluefin tuna may be facing extinction.

I recall Elsie spotting a gigantic one majestically swimming by at the Monterey Aquarium. It probably weighed more than i! Mesmerized, we faintly cried, "Toro!" and couldn't take our eyes off it. We practically drooled.

Just recently learned that the creature is warm-blooded! I was blown away. The maximum lifespan is approximated at 25 years, explaining the giant we were fortunate to have met.

I was saddened by the news of the species possibly being wiped out. Therefore i decided i must taste it before it's all gone to see what the rage is all about.

Only the chutoro (not the fattiest cut) was available. I can only use my imagination on the otoro! BTW i love how toro, usually referred to as "fatty tuna" (it's from the belly), is sometimes translated as "marbled tuna". Classic. That's the best euphemism, ever!

No comments: