Monday, July 24, 2006

Revelation 10

I visited my friends in SoCal over the weekend and saw Something's Gotta Give. Seeing a parallel between the characters Erica and Harry and the reality of me and JD, i was awash with emotions.

Erica and Harry get each other like they've never experienced before. Down the line, Harry withdraws.

"The life I lived before you... I could do that forever," says Erica, referring to how Harry has changed her life irreversibly.

"I just don't know how to be a boyfriend," Harry attempts to explain.

The difference is: Erica and Harry are not depressives. At the despicable end of an otherwise endearing film (albeit improbable), they meet in Paris and reconcile. Come on!

How i hate to be affected by sugar-coated motion pictures. I've never been a big fan of the genre "romantic comedy". They're usually neither romantic nor funny. And so i especially despise having been saddened by said film.

JD and i are depressives. JD being more advanced than i am. (Advanced is, of course, an euphemism.)

Having issues of unattainable love in childhood, i strive to make my guy happy in every relationship. Enters JD, the ultimate challenge, a man profoundly stricken with depression.

It was 110° in Los Angeles on Saturday. I developed heat rash.

The itchy, prickly sensation drove me crazy. I endured it for two days, then did some research, and discovered that heat rash is simply plugged pores from extensive heat and moisture. Not unlike diaper rash.

Couldn't hurt to try a diaper rash ointment, in my innovative spirit i thought.

Tonight JD goes on about yearning to be "normal" again. I point out that he has one definition of normal and doesn't allow himself any slack.

"You don't acknowledge yourself for small achivements," i tell JD. "Meanwhile, i give myself credit for buying diaper rash treatment."

Indeed it tingles. It relieves. It works. Ahhhhh...

No comments: